Swollen feet occurs when fluid accumulates in the tissues, leading to swelling known as edema. Its not a disease. There are several reasons that may cause swollen feet, such as being overweight, standing or sitting for long periods of time, aging, pregnancy, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), nutritional deficiencies, lack of physical exercise and poor blood circulation.
Also, people who have diabetes, heart problems, kidney or liver disease, and pregnant women are more prone to this problem. It causes discomfort and people may find it difficult to walk or stand.
Here are tips to cure swollen feet;
Foot massage is one of the best cure for swollen feet. It creates pressure on the affected area that helps relax sore muscles and improve circulation. It also encourages excess fluid drainage to reduce swelling.
– Rub some warm mustard oil or olive oil on the affected area.
– Gently massage the area for 5 minutes in an upward direction, rather than downward.
– Avoid applying too much pressure.
– Do this several times a day.
Note: If the swelling in your feet is due to pregnancy, see a therapist who specializes in prenatal massage.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Its high potassium content helps reduce fluid retention, a common cause of swelling in the feet.
– Mix equal amounts of warm water and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
– Soak a towel in the solution, wring out the excess liquid and then wrap the towel around your swollen feet.
– Do this for 10 minutes, a few times daily.
3. Contrast Hydrotherapy
This type of hydrotherapy, which includes both cold and warm water, is highly effective for reducing swelling in your feet. While the warm water helps improve circulation, cold water helps reduce swelling and inflammation.
– Fill 2 foot tubs– one with cold water and the other with warm water.
– Soak your feet in the warm water for about 3 to 4 minutes.
– Immediately put your feet in the cold water for about 1 minute.
– Continue alternating for 15 to 20 minutes.
– Repeat a few times daily until you get relief.
It helps dilute sodium, a major contributing factor behind swelling. In addition, its anti-inflammatory property helps reduce swelling.
– Massage your swollen feet with ginger oil when massaging a few times daily.
– You can also drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea or chew some raw ginger slices.
Exercise stimulates circulation and prevents blood from pooling in your lower extremities.
– Swimming is one of the best exercises you can do to lessen swelling and relieve inflammation and pain.
– Do a 30 minutes of walking or jogging, at least 5 days a week.
– Do some leg strengthening and stretching exercises.
– Do some yoga daily to help improve your circulation.
Magnesium deficiency in the body can also contribute to swelling in the feet due to edema. Eat foods rich in magnesium to help fight this problem.
– Eat magnesium-rich foods like dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, soybeans, avocado, bananas and dark chocolate.
7. Lemon Water
Drinking lemon water helps flush out excess fluid and toxins from your body, which can reduce swelling in the feet and other areas of the body caused by water retention.
– Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
– Add a little raw honey.
– Drink this lemon water a few times daily.
Having a swollen feet? Try a combination of these remedies and the results will be a relief..