Garlic has been used as a natural remedy for illness for thousands of years. The traditional garlic oil remedy has helped fight ear infections quickly for years.
Antibiotics are often prescribed for ear infections, even though the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) has not recommended this as a general practice since 2004. Many ear infections are caused by viruses, which are unaffected by antibiotics.
Garlic is powerful on its own and olive oil is soothing to infection as well. Olive oil is often used as the base for healing salves and lotions because it contains potent polyphenols which reduce inflammation. Together, garlic and olive oil can help ease the pain of ear infection and reduce healing time.
How to Make Garlic Olive Oil for Ears
Ear infections maybe very rare in families, but if you notice one, immediately head to the kitchen to make this remedy…
– 1 clove of fresh garlic (organic if possible), minced
– 2 tablespoons of high quality olive oil or sesame oil
1. There are two ways this remedy can be made, depending on how much time you have and your preference for heating olive oil or not.
2. The fastest way is to heat the olive oil in a small pan or double boiler (preferred) and add the minced garlic. Then, keep on very low heat for about 20 minutes to let the beneficial properties of the garlic infuse into the oil. At this point, strain the garlic and remove. I let the garlic cool to just skin temperature and place about two drops in the ear. The warmth and the oil often offer fast relief. Since fresh garlic is used, make a new batch of this mixture every 24 hours if needed rather than keeping the remaining oil, since bacteria can potentially grow from the garlic.
3. If you prefer not to heat garlic, you can accomplish the same thing by mincing raw garlic and keeping in olive oil without heating for 2-3 hours before straining and using, though this option is not as helpful if you need immediate relief.