Hairs that curl around and grow back into the skin, without rising up are called ingrown hairs. They can cause irritation and may be quite problematic. Thus, let us see some tips to get rid of them:
- Honey and salt scrub – make a mixture of ½ cup of sea salt with ½ cup of honey and gently scrub it into the skin while you take a shower. You should finally rinse it off with mild and non-irritating soap and water.
- Scrub with avocado, almond, and oatmeal – you should moisturize your dry skin with this mixture made of 1/3 cup of ground almonds, 1 mashed avocado, and ¾-1 cup of ground oatmeal. Massage it gently on the skin in a circular motion and then use water to rinse it off. Finally, pat dry the skin.
- Remove your hairs safely – soak your tweezers in rubbing alcohol in order to disinfect them. Exfoliate the skin around the ingrown hair in order to get rid of dead skin cells, and then dab the skin with a washcloth run under hot water. In this way, your skin will soften. Once you are ready, grasp the hair with the tweezers and pull it out. In the end, rinse it off and apply some coconut oil in order to ease the irritated spot.
- Moisturize – even when you don’t think your skin is dry, do it, as this will help you push the ingrown hairs and soothe the irritated skin. Use coconut oil, or another moisturizer and apply it daily.
- Honey and aspirin – aspirin contains salicylic acid that is able to increase the moisture in the skin, making it easier to shed the cells of the dead skin. In order to treat the ingrown hairs you should crush 3 aspirin tablets and make a mixture with them, along with 1 tsp of honey. Make a paste and apply it on the affected spot, letting it act for 10 minutes. Use warm water to rinse it off, and a wash cloth.
- Tea tree oil – it provides antiseptic properties which can ease inflammation and pain which is caused by ingrown hair. Use a cotton swab to apply the oil 2 times a day.
- Paste made of baking soda – coax the ingrown hair with a paste made of baking soda. Mix water and some baking soda, make the paste thick, and then apply it on the skin in circular and firm movements with clean hands. Rinse it off with some water, and then apply coconut oil in order to moisturize the skin without plugging the pore.
- Exfoliate – you should exfoliate your skin 1-2 days before shaving. The main cause of ingrown hairs is a thick layer of dead skin cells which block the surface of the skin and prevent their normal growth. Use an exfoliating glove and exfoliating soap